While going through my Twitter feed, I saw my cousin’s tweet that links to her 25 things to do before I turn 25 journal entry. Then I realized that I need to have a list of things to do as well before turning 25. Why? I just want to give my life a little direction. Haha!
I’ll try to post an update on this once every quarter. I have 786 days, which is 2 years, a month, and 25 days or roughly 9 quarters. Here goes:
- Pass the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi, the Mandarin Chinese equivalent of IELTS and TOEFL. I should be, at the very least, on Level 3. This means I should know around a thousand characters and be able to converse acceptably in Mandarin. I’ll be enrolling in the Confucius Institute this January so I hope that would jump start my goal.
- Learn the basics of other Asian languages in my to-learn-list such as Indonesian, Malaysian, Thai, and Korean. I think I can learn Indonesian (I have started with this already) and Malaysian easily since they’re almost the same and they share some words with Filipino. Thai? I’ll probably find this difficult because it’s a tonal language like Mandarin and it has this squiggly script. They say Korean is difficult but with the myriad of Korean culture gushing into our country, I’d probably find this easier to learn than Thai.
- Transform my body into a body that I can be proud of. I’m ballooning! I need to lose weight and bulk up on muscles. Yehesss! Last time I checked, I was 200 pounds. It’s still 50 pounds away from my fat days weight but it’s already up 20 from my college weight. I have to enroll in a gym again!
- Get at least 16 certifications for IBM software. We’re required to get at least 4 certifications a year in SWS (IBM Software Services) but I don’t want to settle on the minimum, that’s mediocrity. A chunk of that would probably be related to FileNet and InfoSphere Streams. I’d like to dabble
- Go to at least 4 of the other 9 members of ASEAN. I’m eying Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand.
- Limit drinking to once a month. I know I have been deprived of this in my high school and college days but that does not justify my almost once a week drinking session with my office friends. Emphasis on almost once a week because we sometimes do it twice a week.
- Learn how to drive. For crying out loud I’m already 22 and I still don’t know how to drive. The funny thing is that I’m very interested in cars, something that I developed way back in my childhood. I collect TopGear magazines, buy scale model of cars, etc. and yet I don’t know how to drive.
- Send a child to school. This is one of the things that I’ve been wanting to do ever since I started participating in outreach programs. I have always wanted to sponsor an underprivileged child’s education. Education is the key to a better future and it would be fantastic if I can provide that to someone in need. Hello World Vision!
- Save around 250k for emergency purposes. I really need to cut on unnecessary expenses such as excessive dinner outs.
- I should limit the hours I spend in front of the computer at home. Come on, I spend around 8 hours a day at work in front of a computer and yet I still spend more than 5 hours in front of it at home. Don’t I get tired of it?
I can only think of 10 major goals. I can probably add more as days pass by but for now, I’ll focus on these 10. Wish me luck! 🙂